I Eat Fish, Watch Movies

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang Is Out On DVD, So Rent It You Twat

Hustle & Flow
After bombing in New Zealand, today (after just 2 weeks) was the final day that Hustle & Flow was screening at SkyCity Queen Street (Waiting lasted just one week, so I've missed it...grr). I caught the 3:20 session after handing in my stats assignment (Finally done! Now just 2,785 things left before the end of March...).

Awesome movie. For a film about a pimp and his hos (hos? hoes?... hose?) living it tough, that's quite an achievement. What this movie is really about at its core however is wanting more out of a dead-end existence, dreaming of bigger things, making an effort to turn these dreams into a reality, and eventually (and most-impressively in execution) the way in which a character who does everything he can is crushed to see that what he's been dreaming of just simply isn't going to work out like he planned (these are themes similar to some that I'm keen to explore also in my writing, so I found the story of particular interest). It's a film about facing reality and essentially about trying no matter what anyway (I'm a bit "meh" on the application of that to the ending, though I do realise it would have been far too gloomy if nothing went right. I like gloomy).

The complexity of all that in relation to the lead character D-Jay (Terrence Howard in a deservedly Oscar-nominated performance) is something you need to see the film to understand because words really can't do justice to the scenes when (and after) he finally meets up with the famous rapper (played by Howard's Crash co-star Chris "Ludracris" Bridges) who he's been pinning his music-career hopes on, given how they are climactic (sp?) and how they are driven by both the narrative and emotional momentum of what came before.

Anyways, I guess you might not be able to catch it at the theatre now but when it comes out on DVD I strongly urge that you check it out. Seriously.

B+ or 4 out of 5. Keep in mind that B+ means a movie is FUCKING GREAT and that I don't give them out lightly.

If I catch Syriana before it finishes I'll make an adjusted Top 10 or maybe Top 20 list for last year's movies given that I'll have seen most of the supposedly good shit from '05 after that. Hustle & Flow will very much be on these lists.

Google
Today Google found me a picture of what may or may not be a rabbit/cat/dog/rug.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

javascript hit counter