I Eat Fish, Watch Movies

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Day In The City II

Deja Vu?
It seems fitting that an attempt at some sort of "form revival" should begin with a report mirroring one from a couple of months ago when my posts here were bearable and/or Pulitzer-worthy. Indeed Saturday was a break from the labour of uni work (well, I've had one kind-of-assignment that took me a whole three or so hours to get done) and saw me take a trip into the city, which given the geographical location of uni nearby probably isn't worth getting all that excited about.

Things of note that I saw
StarMart was selling 2 Aero bars for $3. This was advertised as a special. Since when is paying $1.50 for a chocolate bar cheap, let alone so cheap that one would shell out to get two just to enjoy the supposed savings?

Here's an Aero egg apparently. I found it on Google. We can't get them here in NZ yet I don't think. On the inside it looks like something retrieved from the ocean.










I rebelled and went to Munchie Mart, a store whose name I still can't help but cringe at even after more than a year of saying it. I maintain it should be relabelled "Get Shit Here", which is not only more representative of the function that the store performs, but is also more appealing to the target audience who have apparently been mistaken as a bunch of seven year-olds by the store's current owners. At Munchie Mart I got 2 Aeros for $2.50, saving $0.50. But I really got more than just a couple of rectangularish blocks of chocolately goodness and a silver coin in change. I got a feeling of satisfaction at having not bowed down to the so-called convenience of a convenience store, walking that extra mile (quite literally) and *earning* the confectionary reward at the end of the journey. I also learned that Munchie Mart is open on Saturdays, and that people come into Uni on Saturdays for no apparent reason. Possibly to visit Munchie Mart.

There was a small film crew making a student film on that level of the Commons. What struck me as the difference between the collective efforts of Dennis, Simon and myself and the project I was witnessing in utero was that they had this cool torch thing for lighting purposes. Ooooh. I must aspire to their level of professionalism before I can truly become a Jedi. That's my new word for making it as a filmmaker because I see a lot of parallels between Luke learning from Yoda on Dagobah and students learning to make better movies. All that stuff about belief and doing-not-trying and size not mattering seems relevant, although fighting an imaginery Darth Vader in a cave is slightly inconsistent with my theory.

What A Surprise
I saw four movies yesterday. One was very good (In Her Shoes, second viewing), two were good (Downfall, Wolf Creek) and one sucked ass (Firewall). But I shall not bore you with details. Go to IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes if you want to know what people think of these films. Just keep in mind that when they disagree with my opinion, they're wrong.

Free Pie
I'm a pie muncher. Well not really, but Jesters is awesome and it's nearby to the cinema where I spend a day or two most weeks so naturally after a while I'll have reached a point where I've had 10 of their pies. Lucky for me that time was last time I ate there. And I had a card that lets me redeem a free one for every ten that I buy, and hence I redeemed it yesterday. I still had to pay 30 cents for Tomato Sauce, so my Aero saving came in handy.

The pie was fairly good. But the service was not. They have a pile of metal forks and knives wrapped up in napkins from which I normally recieve a pair. But it seems that when you're getting a free pie you become a substandard citizen in their eyes. I was given the pie in a bag despite not ordering it as a take-away, and then when I asked for cutlery and a plate I was given a PLASTIC set of cutlery when the pile of normal cutlery was sitting right there. Wtf? Overall, I'll give Jesters at around 12:30 yesterday a:

C- or 2 out of 5.

Been much better before, and I highly recommended the place if this is your first, tenth or somewhere-in-betweenth pie, but if it's your free one then expect to receive backlash as a secret built-in price that they don't tell you about when they offer you the deal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

javascript hit counter