I Eat Fish, Watch Movies

Friday, January 05, 2007

Pigs On The Wing 1

The Prestige
In short? A how-to of set-up and pay-off. Hyphen-hyphen. One of those movies where there were little clues and things said by characters that were significant but which I didn't pick up on the relevance of until a good few minutes after the credits rolled, like Bale telling Jackman about the Chinese guy pulling a Keyser Soze with his cripple-ness and the parallel with his own charade. Looking forward to a second viewing on DVD someday to gather the clues like some forager in the Hollywood bushes.

Pigs (Three Different Ones)
These last couple of weeks I've felt as though my passion for filmmaking has been reignited, having previously let my interest wane (without realising it) through prolonged inactivity. I feel like getting out there and working on every damn project I can get my hands on (assuming they don't resemble the 15 Minutes Of Fame shorts).

And I finally think I have "the idea" that I want to apply all the best ideas I can steal from my discarded scripts and notes over the years to. I've already taken a creepy sinister scene that was the highlight from the hour-long surreal semi-noir drama Paris and am planning to apply it to the new movie's more comical B-movie context, which solves the problem of the scene simply being too dull perhaps, if nevertheless devillishly dark and delightfully disgusting, before. Which means buh-bye to Paris for now, even though it was the best largely-complete thing I've written outside of the bear movie (incidentally, Paris was set in the same fictional city as the bear project and featured two of that film's characters, so it may still see the light of day eventually).

Anyways, this new project could be good. And if not, I'm sure it'll be a fun journey along the way and a good learning experience.

Ice Caps Are Stupid
You ever hear that joke about the blonde falling out of an aircraft and surviving or something because she has to stop and ask for directions on the way down? If not, I ruined the punchline so take out your deneuraliser, remove your RayBans and anticipate enjoying the joke proper someday should you and it cross paths.

Well my point here isn't the joke, it's the parallel between the blonde and nature's own blonde, Ice Caps. As you may be able to see in the tagboard to the right of this post (unless you're randomly reading this post months later and the discussion has since been displaced by more of those penis-enhancing-medicine spam messages that plague this blog from time to time) while Ice Age 2 was still poorly plotted, lazily resolved, featured too many uninteresting and in many cases pointless new characters and also suffered from whatever else I ranted about I may have, in my general disinterest, missed the bit when some annoying character explained that the apparent sea of water extending far beyond the ice wall was in fact the (deeply) melted surface of an ice cap, as opposed to the ocean. My assumption I guess was that ice would never melt like that, so such an explanation never crossed my mind as I marvelled at the only good thing about the film (greatly improved CG textures) and ignored much of the babble.

If the movie was suggesting such a pattern of ice-melting, it seems even worse then the non-sensicle ocean. Now we'd be assuming ice melts from the inside, and that the top-surface is melting faster than the wall-surface. But according to David, who I'll never argue with over such matters because - as I learned at Macleans - he knows obscure stuff like this, this is a rare exception in the movie: of all the stupid things the creators of Ice Age 2 did, they weren't entirely responsible for this one. It is in fact a fuck up of nature. It actually happens. Inexplicably.

Drop a cube of ice in a glass like so.











If it melts like this (below), that's because your glass and block of ice are not Greenlandish fuckups:











If your ice melts like this (below), you are in fact a Giant looking at an Ice Cap. Perhaps you could use your big loud booming voice to tell nature's blonde to stop melting like a freak and start making sense, because this doesn't:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

javascript hit counter