I Eat Fish, Watch Movies

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Woogie

David Lynch Still Kicks Ass At 60
So today David Lynch, the other-other awesomest director in the world (alongside Tarantino and Coppola) turned 60 years old, and I thought I'd celebrate with a quote from Eraserhead:

Mr. X: I thought I heard a stranger! We've got chicken tonight. Strangest damn things. They're man made. Little damn things. Smaller than my fist. But they're new. Hi, I'm Bill.
Henry Spencer: Hello there. I'm Henry.

I love stuff like that. From now on I'm putting weird characters saying random stuff into every script I write.

Yesterday
I may not have blogged yesterday, but what I did do was help out on Dennis's short film shoot for Kiwi. Dennis's or Dennis'? D?ennis's' maybe. Anywho, I use the term "help" in the broadest sense in that my role consisted of casting an inconsistent shadow over the actors by standing in the wrong place and eating a Toblerone I bought from the dairy (at 2 for $2, and I foolishly went for some variety and got a Whittakers bar with it instead of a second Toblerone). Mmm... Toblerone.

Here is some Toblerone in pixel form:








Woogie
Filmmakers, listen up. From now on, and I mean this quite seriously, the correct terminology for a block of shots or a scene which is moved from one point on a production schedule to another is a "woogie." You may have a woogie-scene, a woogie-sequence... perhaps even a woogie-montage. Why? Because yesterday Dennis coined this phrase for that very purpose on his shoot and it kicks ass.

Lynch: "Action!"
Watts: "Wait, are we shooting the scene where I talk backwards to a midget about gum coming back in style or are we doing the weird one?"
Lynch: "We're shooting the woogie."
Damon: "Matt Damon."

Perhaps "woogie" could be adapted for a wider use, maybe when a scene set at a later point in a timeline is moved back in the narrative, like when a movie begins with a climax and then tells the story leading up to it. That climax would, therefore, be a woogie.

Ebert: Lynch's use of a woogie casts a shadow of intrigue over the film in that as the events unfold there is this ever-ominous tone to it all and you can't help but feel a sense of hopelessness because you know how everything will turn out for the characters trying so deperately on-screen.

Artist's depiction of a woogie:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

javascript hit counter